Sunday, August 23, 2015

11 - Being Filipino

Am I proud to be a Filipino? Am I even worth it to be called a Filipino? These are the questions I faced these past few weeks. I find it difficult to answer these questions, for the reason that I’m not a very nationalistic person. For some reason I can’t find the passion in me to die for the Philippines just like our Philippine hero Jose Rizal had. It’s difficult for me to recognize and appreciate the characteristics of a Filipino, because I didn’t grew up here in the Philippines in the first place; I’ve been mostly surrounded by foreign people most of the time.
Now am I proud to be a Filipino? Yes, despite of the corruption in the Philippines, I still take pride in the creativity and accomplishments of Filipino’s. For example Agapito Flores invented the fluorescent light bulb, the tasty Filipino dish that surprisingly went international, and of course our ACE in boxing Manny Pacquiao. These are the things I take pride of. Although I must admit that without the complications the Philippine is facing. We wouldn’t be as perseverant, hardworking and creative as we are now. Filipino’s are known for these characteristics, especially in abroad. Some company’s prefer Filipino’s rather than other nationalities, because of our in-born characteristics.
These past few years I’ve learned that, you don’t have to grow-up in the Philippines in order to be worth it to be called a Filipino. As long as your blood is Filipino, those characteristics that I’ve mentioned earlier (Perseverant, hardworking, & creative) are already in you, since birth.
Now, am I worth it to be called a Filipino? Yes, because to persevere, to work hard, and to be creative are in my blood. I believe no one is exempted from these traits not even you. With these I believe Philippines will flourish if we only use these traits to help our country. I am Andrey buzon, a proud Filipino. Thank you and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment